Safe Crane and Slinging Operations
Legal Requirements As Required by the OHSA and Regulations
Participants will receive training in Legislation as required by the Occupational Health and Safety Act and it's Regulations and in the safe use and pre-use inspections related to the Safe Operations fo Lifting Devices.
- ACT: Section 25(2)(A), 25(2)(D), and 25(2)(H)
- Contruction Projects: Regulation 213 - Section 150-156
- Lifting Devices/Cranes: Regulation 851 - Sections 51(1), (2) and 2, 54-59
Before training begins, your instructor will conduct a brief inspection of your cranes and the working environment. This will allow the trainer to customize the course material accordingly.
- Know the legal requirements and procedures for safe use of cranes, hoist and proper rigging methods.
- Know how to identify basic hazards and controls critical to safety.
- Plan for your load and slinging in a safe manner, and check the setup to ensure safety.
- Plan for raising, moving and lowering loads safely, and to check for your typical lifting problems.
- Learn your legal responsibilities for operating cranes and hoists.
- Learn your legal responsibilities for slinging/rigging loads safely.
- Learn the best practices and procedures from experienced, competent persons.
- Gain practical knowledge to help avoid potential safety problems.
- Gain knowledge of legal liabilities for contravening regulations.